The history of Laxey Glen dates back to 1800 when the Reverend William Fitzsimmons started a planting program which lasted approximately 50 years. Some of the larger trees from this time are still visible in the glen today.
The pleasure grounds were the concept of Mr R Williamson, who saw the potential of tourists who visited the area. Between 1919 and 1939 the glen gardens saw their peak in popularity with facilities for croquet, bowling, tennis, boating, dancing, walking and eating. At this time there were 7 men employed full time to maintain the gardens. After the war the gardens saw a decline in popularity and they were soon sold to the government and left to develop naturally.